The end of an era…
****warning****not for the squeamish****
About four or five years ago, I got my navel pierced. I was torn on doing this for so long. Let me back up a bit. Someone who was very close to me knew that I wanted to get it pierced for the longest time, but I was always self conscious about my ever fluctuating weight. As a Christmas present, she gave me a home made certificate saying that whenever I am ready to do it, she would bring me to get my navel pierced and she would pay for it. A few years went buy and I still had not cashed in on that opportunity. I wanted it, but in the back of my head, something kept telling me not to do it. I was putting it off for a reason, not that I knew what that reason was… I just knew I was putting it off… until one day I received a phone call saying that we were going to the piercing studio that day. I was nervous. I was scared, but I finally said yes.
I remember this trip like it was yesterday. The studio was down a deserted road, next to a warehouse. If it has been night time, I thought it would have been a perfect setting for a bad horror movie. The studio in front of a railroad yard, but I suppose the good news is that the police station was close by as well.
We entered the studio and waited for what seemed like an eternity. I think we had to wait for someone to come back to the studio – I don’t really remember – but it was a long wait. He eventually showed us to the room. He pulled out all the sterilized equipment and laid it out on a clean tray. He was talking as I looked through the jewelry, trying to find something that fit my style – while being sensitive to budget.
I found a few options – but they were all shot down. Apparently I have a deep belly button and needed one of a longer length. There were very few – so I ended up with a curved steel barbell. Simple and plain.
It was finally my turn to get stuck with the HUGE @SS needle. I sat back on a char, as he cleaned off my stomach with iodine. He then took a pair of forceps and held onto a chunk of my belly – not a flattering motion. As he squeezed the skin together he pushed a long, curved needle into my skin. That REALLY hurt, but felt so strange. I then felt the warmth of a few drops of blood.
He cleaned up the area and I was done. I was sore, but not in pain. I liked how it looked, but still had this funny feeling in the back of my head.
The next few weeks I had to be extremely careful with it. I could not wear nylons under skirts. All my jeans were a tad too high and hitting RIGHT where it sat. I washed it with antibiotic soap every day… I took care of it as I was supposed to. Every night, sleep was uncomfortable, until it began to heal.
Fast Forward a few years, to the present. After these past four years (or sp) it still had not healed completely. It would be fine, then after wearing nylons two days in a row, it would get all angry at me. Sometimes It would get crusty ( I know, VERY GROSS) half-way through the day because it was getting irritated. I ALWAYS was aware of it. I could not sleep on my belly for more then an hour or two per night – then it would get angry with me. Essentially my life was being run by a freaking piece of metal stuck into my body!
For the past few months I had been thinking of removing it. I was getting sick and tired of always having to readjust my clothes, and just having to be AWARE of it around the clock.
Last week I made my decision, and it is now out. It has been out for 5 days now, and it feels wonderful. I am not having to squirm around and readjust my clothes. I don’t have to consistently clean it with antibiotic soap and worry about it getting infected. I don’t have to be controlled by that freaking piece of metal that I wasn’t even in love with in the first place.
Ahhh…. My belly can breath again.
6 comments:
Good riddance! (Or is it riddence? Nope that doesn't look right either. =P )
every day I am more and more happy with my decision. Its so nice to not have to worry about it 24-7
Wow... in a way, that is quite an analogy for you know what... Not quite knowing why you love it because it just keeps not returning your love. Consistently having to nurture,care, and clean up after it.
Freedom... you can breathe again.
wow.... never thought about it that way.
I think my jaw just hit the floor.
Whoa...didn't even know you still had it in!!
And OMG...Keri is like a god or something....that is a very intuitive thought!
Apparently April has never been 'exposed' to the "real" Keri... hehe... that's about to change... hehe
Post a Comment