Wednesday, January 06, 2010

NZ: day 4

There was no need to set the alarm for a wake up call while on the ship. In the morning the engines started with a loud roar that got us all up and going. Some of you may know that I have a strange bathroom phobia (specific to toilets) so I was trying to avoid using the toilets at all cost. In the morning I had to cave in, and it wasn't the end of the world... but boy do I hate bathrooms on boats... and airplanes... and trains... *sigh*

Anyway, it was a misty morning and we had a nice hot breakfast while the boat started its cruise out into the chilly Tazman Sea. We took off from Harrison Fijord (snicker) and headed out along the shore to look for penguins. There were a few penguins along the shore, but they were too quick to get any pics of.

The morning was foggy and misty and completely transformed the cliffs from the day before. The number of waterfalls tripled overnight and the fog gave it all an eerie feeling.


We cruised out into the Tazman Sea. The water became very choppy and the boat rocked around a LOT. There were quite a few people who were battling sea sickness. I was one of the crazy few who were on the deck, watching the boat crash with the waives and jumping each time we crested a waive to see how far the boat would travel.

Then I got wet. A few large waives crashed over the front of the boat and I was absolutely SOAKED. Of course this was a small overnight excursion, so we did not have our suitcases with us. My only pair of pants were absolutely dripping wet. One of the crew members was very nice and offered to put my jeans in the dryer. I quickly put on my bathingsuit bottoms and handed the jeans over. This is the result...


Don't you just LOVE this look?

Anyway, we carried on. Back towards the shore to have a sight seeing tour. The mountains were incredibly high, and the waterfalls were roaring. To give you a good perspective, see the ship under the waterfall? That boat was a little larger then the one that we were on.


We then looked for seals, and were successful! There were a few seals just hanging out on this rock. Apparently there are a few seals here almost all the time.


And here is more perspective of how many waterfalls were around us.





We finally returned to shore, and got off the boat. We got back on the coach and it was time to head towards QUEENSTOWN!

As we left Fijordland, the sky cleared right up and it was a beautiful sunny day. We stopped by a HUGE lake to take a few pictures before the craziness would begin...


...it was time for my first bungy jump!!!!

The coach stopped at the infamous Kawarau River Bridge jump site, also called the K-River Bridge. We all piled out. Those who were only watching headed out to the observation platforms, those who were jumping went to check in.

There is this long check in process where they weight you and you fill out tons of forms and literally sign your life away... then walk up to the jump site.

I was not nervous until the very last minute. That only was because I tricked myself out of it. I refused to think about what I was about to do. I merely though of each action as we moved along...

...I'm filling out paperwork
...now I am getting weighed in.
..oh! Time to walk up a big staircase
...boy its nice outside, look at the pretty scenery.
..its warm outside.
...nice old wood bridge. I like how it looks.
..wow look at all the equipment up here...



hello nice man.
I have a big number written on my hand. Which side do I go to?
...ok, time to get hooked up
(this is my new friend Bec getting fitted with her harness)


Then it was time to wait until my turn. we filed into one of two lines, based upon our weight. I started to get a little nervous, but I was still ok. They were blasting Queen's Greatest hits, and I distracted myself by singing along a bit. I chuckled when "Another One Bites the Dust" came on. Then I laughed even harder when "Who Wants to Live forever' came on.

Then it was my turn. I sat on the ledge, as I was hooked up... yes, that is me on the platform right there. Props to my friend Han for capturing a few great shots...


Then the big moment....



Yea, I freaked out a little. But I did it. I was scared, I did not want to let go of that little handle next to me... then I did not want to let go of the guy who was talking to me. I don't even remember what he said to me. I just remember calm whispering in my ear.. and him saying to look out into the distance and not down.

I finally let go of the bridge. He counted down and in my head I said "F*CK IT!" and jumped.

It was exhilarating. The free fall was amazing, but the kick back and swinging around was just thrilling and felt great.

Next thing I knew I heard a voice yelling "grab the pole" and he sounded miles away. I looked around and saw the pole right in front of me. I grabbed it, and I was slowly lowered and guided into the raft.

I laid there and basked in the afterglow.

The guys in the raft asked me how I felt and if I liked it. I remember telling them that it was better then sex.

When the unhooked me, he asked me to do a sit-up so that he could get me at a better angle. I looked at him and said "what's a sit up?"

lol - yea, I was out of it. He then said, look at your knees, and that made so much more sense.
They asked me where I was from and used what became my tag line for the trip "you know ESPN? It's broadcasted from my hometown" The guys liked that line.

The raft went to the shore, I climbed out of the boat, thanked the guys and headed up the very rocky gravel path in my bare feet. Ouch.

After we all jumped, it was back to the coach and up to the hotel. We checked in, had a little time to shower and get ready to head out to dinner for the night.

There is a mountain gondola right in Queenstown. At the top there is an observation deck, restaurant, luge track and The Ledge... more on all of those for day 5... but tonight we had dinner at the restaurant.

View from the gondola


My gondola partners...

Lisa and Katherine. Yes, Katherine is a ginger, and we all decided early on the trip we would help her find her soul while in NZ.
And me and Katrina.

Of course I had to take one of my infamous self portraits!


The restaurant housed a HUGE gourmet buffet. I had prime rib, lamb, chicken, fish, sushi, TONS of veggies

a bottle of Sav Blanc...

and DESSERT!!!


Yea, afterward I thought I was going to POP! We ALL ate and ate and ate. But the good news is that later we went to a bar and danced and danced and danced until we were all drippy with sweat. At the very least I burned off the calories.

At the end of the night I took a taxi up the hill to the hotel, and was in bed at a relatively early hour (around midnight) and it was cloudy out so still no Southern Cross.

2 comments:

Dizzy Vizzy said...

Great strategy on not freaking out before the jump!

And you know I have to say it -you grabbed the pole when he asked!
* snicker*

Brandi said...

Awesome photos & great video!! Love it! I've never done a bungee jump, but it looks like so much fun. :-)