Monday, March 09, 2015

Mental Reset and some TMI

Disclaimer... if you get squeamish reading about women's health, you may want to skip past this post.

Ok... you are still here. Let's get into this...

WOW... it's been a whirlwind. I had contemplated deleting my last blog post, but I convinced myself against it. I chose not to because it is a reminder of how raw things can be when I am in a difficult place. When I wrote that post I was mentally, emotionally and physically drained. Yes, training has been challenging, it is supposed to. I am training for an Ironman, if it were easy everyone would be! But I hit a low. My body was screaming at me. I needed to figure out what it was. Due to my handy-dandy super awesome journal I spotted a trend. I was missing a couple workouts and felt poor for a few days prior to getting my period.

Then I started googling and asking questions of my Athena Athlete / Triathlete friends. The more I asked questions, the more confident I knew that I was not crazy. I then called my doctor, and she asked me to come in the next day.

First of all, I am on birth control. I have been for over twenty years. Historically, I've needed my prescription to change every couple years. I would know it was time because I would start to get unusually emotional, or my periods would change in duration. I've been on nuvaring for a number of years. It is so convenient to not have to take a pill every day, just pop in a ring once a month and take it out three weeks later. The thing I did not know was that nuvaring is available only in one dosage. My doctor suggested I change to a lower dosage. Bam. Done.

Next we talked about my emotional and mental state. We walked about my training, she asked me questions to make sure that I am taking care of myself physically. Then we talked about options. She suggested that the change in birth control should help, but I expressed my concern for making sure I would not have these issues again. I can't afford to loose 7 days of training as I did last month.

We talked about antidepressants and antianxiety medications. I explained that was not an approach I wanted to take. I'd taken both in the past, and I am an advocate for them when the timing is right. In my case it was 3-4 days of emotional turmoil, and an antidepressant would need to be used daily. I did not think that was the best approach for me and my current lifestyle.

Next we talked about nutritional supplements. I have added Evening Primrose Oil to my diet for two weeks out of the month. I don't want to speak prematurely... but this week is the dreaded week before and I have not had any symptoms as of yet. I have energy and I am not shying away from my workouts... maybe we have a winner?

Now that I have gotten a handle on my emotional and mental state, I want to share some of the findings of my internet searches and reaching out to other women as I was in my struggle:
  1. When estrogen levels are high, it may take more time for the body to recover.
  2. When estrogen levels are high, the quality of workouts decrease.
  3. When estrogen levels are high, it is easier to become fatigued.
Now, when are estrogen levels high? During the Luteal Phase estrogen levels increase until menstruation. Just prior to menstruation, estrogen levels are at their highest. The luteal phase begins at ovulation, which is about 14 days after menstruation begins.

This correlates perfectly with the patterns I have been observing in my training. So not only will I be taking my Evening Primrose Oil as directed, but I will also be sure to pay extra special attention to my body. Making sure to not push to hard, resting as needed, giving myself a little extra recovery time... and getting further along on this road to Lake Placid!!

2 comments:

PorkStar said...

So where's the TMI part of the post?

Your post was as PG-13 as it can get. :)

I've been reading you for some time now and I am aware of what you mention. Not that I know by first hand account, being that I'm a dude and all that, but my ex used to have the same patterns as well, affecting in particular her work outs.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!!! I bet if I really paid attention and logged w/more detail my workouts I would find something similar..I just keep saying "isn't this supposed to be getting easier" with getting back into running...I bet on the days I say that has to do something with where I'm at in my cycle. I may track it better just to see...it will help me feel less guilty about a poor workout/run.